THE LAND.....OUR DREAM HOUSE

THE LAND.....OUR DREAM HOUSE

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Week Two

Week two is now history, and I have progress to show you.

My main accomplishments for the week have been to become more involved with the meals, cleaning, laundry, and watering plants. My cold and Sciatic problem are improving. I applied for and received a library card and a Giant Eagle card. After all, one must be equipped for life. I have repacked and listed all the food and cleaning supplies I brought along. Now we can check the list before buying more. Frank and I have made a dent in the contents of the PODS unit, trying to find things we need or want. I tried doing some mending, and realized that I had packed my CD player cord as my sewing machine cord. I thought about trying to find the correct cord, and thought it could easily be a time consuming and hopeless project. Back out to the PODS. And EUREKA!! It was the second box I checked! Therefore I have mended and painted--just a little.

Meanwhile, Frank has accomplished several projects. He has built a loft in the garage for storage, and helped move things up. He has added lighting to the loft and the garage itself. He has laid a cork floor in the mud room, and fitted it with base trim. (Hence my painting.) He has made several runs to various towns for supplies. He leveled a place for our house package when it arrives next week. He has nearly completed compost bins for us to use. His newest project is getting tools ready to use on the house--new sturdy sawhorse and a new stand for his saw.

Monday Mike returned to work on our driveway. At least three loads of stone were brought in.

Thursday, however, we both did little but watch. Superior Walls came and installed our basement walls! We thought it was exciting to see a hole for the house, but now, to see the beginnings of our dream house take shape--words fail me!! They brought the whole thing on one truck, which necessitated it being pushed up the long driveway. Luckily there was very little damage to the drive.








Then a tall crane began setting each section. These were secured to the previous section.







Joe, the foreman, decided the new guy was taking too long to hook each section to the crane. He decided to take a little nap on top of the wall while waiting.





And now, the shape of our dream house is apparent.






There followed more work on our driveway.

Meanwhile Johnya's have gone on vacation to John's college class reunion and to visit his sister in her new home.

What will next week hold? Hopefully, Superior Walls will return to pour the basement floor, but we have not heard from them yet. But on Friday, two semis are scheduled to bring everything we need to start the building itself!

1 comment:

  1. We're envious! The more we see the more we wish we were retired with you!

    Looking great! Don't you love it when a plan comes together!

    Let me know when you can use my help...

    Love Randy and Kim

    ReplyDelete